The Clinical Excellence Queensland is strongly committed to supporting our health services in achieving and surpassing the National Safety and Quality Health Service (NSQHS) standards. A range of audit tools have been developed for facilities to use to collect data and evidence of meeting the standards, including:
- A ‘how to’ guide on using the tools
- A definitions guide to assist in completing the tools
- Specific audit tools that collect and collate information at the patient, ward/unit and facility level.
- A measurement plan summary for each standard that defines the goals, questions and responses in the audit tools. The plans provide an understanding of how the questions in the audit tool have a direct association with the actions required in the standard.
- Standard 1 - Governance for Safety and Quality in Health Service Organisations
The intent of this standard is to create an integrated governance system that maintains and improves the reliability and quality of patient care, as well as improve patient outcomes.
- How to use audit tools (PDF, 523KB)
- Definition Sheet (PDF, 3.86MB)
- Facility Audit Tool (PDF, 598KB)
- Ward/Unit Tool (PDF, 282KB)
- Patient Tool (PDF, 267KB)
- Measurement Plan (PDF, 745KB)
- Standard 2 - Partnering with Consumers
The intent of the Partnering with Consumers Standard is to create a health service that is responsive to patient, carer and consumer input and needs.
- Standard 3 - Preventing and Controlling Healthcare Associated Infections
The intent of this standard is to prevent patients from acquiring preventable healthcare associated infections and effectively manage infections when they occur by using evidence-based strategies. A number of audit tools are available on the Disease and infection prevention internet site that can be used.
- Standard 4 - Medication Safety
The intention of this Standard is to: Ensure competent clinicians safely prescribe, dispense and administer appropriate medicines to informed patients and carers.
- Standard 5 - Patient Identification and Procedure Matching
The intention of this Standard is to: Correctly identify all patients whenever care is provided and correctly match patients to their intended treatment.
- Standard 6 - Clinical Handover
The intent of Clinical Handover Standard is to ensure there is timely, relevant and structured clinical handover that supports safe patient care.
- Standard 7 - Blood and Blood Products
The intent of Blood and Blood Products Standard is to ensure the patients who receive blood and blood products do so appropriately and safely.
- Standard 8 - Preventing and Managing Pressure Injuries
The intention of this Standard is to: Prevent patients from developing pressure injuries and effectively managing pressure injuries when they do occur.
- Standard 9 - Recognising and Responding to Clinical Deterioration in Acute Health Care
The intention of this Standard is to: Ensure a patient's deterioration is recognised promptly, and appropriate action is taken.
- Standard 10 - Preventing Falls and Harm From Falls
The intent of the this standard is to reduce the incidence of patient falls and minimise harm from falls.
- How to use audit tools (PDF, 660KB)
- Definition Sheet (PDF, 931KB)
- Facility Audit Tool (PDF, 431KB)
- Ward/Unit Tool (PDF, 409KB)
- Patient Tool (PDF, 461KB)
- Measurement Plan (PDF, 168KB)