This program was designed to leverage the vast capabilities within Queensland Universities in areas of critical need for driving statewide improvement and innovation in quality, safety, and performance. In 2020, we established formal (virtual) collaboration arrangements with local academic partners across the design, human factors science and safety innovation specialties. These labs are:
- The Healthcare Excellence Accelerator (HEAL) with the QUT (Queensland University of Technology) Design Lab.
- The Human Factors Learning and Innovation Lab (HF-NET) with the Centre for Human Factors and Socio-technical Systems at the University of the Sunshine Coast.
- The Safety Innovation Bridge Lab (SIBL) with the Safety Science Innovation Lab at Griffith University.
These linkages have
- supported several service improvement and system change projects - many addressing shifts brought about by COVID-19 and aligned to the Department's priority areas. The HEAL Bridge Lab achieved this by pairing clinical teams with expert mentors and designers.
- enabled health services and CEQ’s Statewide Clinical Networks to access world-leading advisory support (at no cost) in their efforts to tackle complex challenges.
- accelerated the development of new learning programs in partnership with the Healthcare Improvement Fellowship Faculty.
- supported expert-led webinars and in-person workshops for frontline staff and system leaders to drive healthcare improvement in the 'new normal'.
Whilst still only in its first year of operation, the Bridge Labs have been delivering significant value to the health system, through thought leadership, project innovation, and accelerating the development of learning resources.
Future, next steps, and how to get involved:
We are currently planning the next phase of this exciting initiative. Details about how to get involved and how your Hospital and Health Service can apply to collaborate with us will be announced and communicated when appropriate.
Becoming a member of the Healthcare Improvement Community of Practice (HICOP) is one of the best ways to hear about opportunities first; to become a member please register your interest by simply sending an email to HICOP@health.qld.gov.au
If you have further questions on what we do, what might be possible, or to learn about planned priorities, please email the team at BridgeLabs@health.qld.gov.au or give us a call at 07 3328 9167.