Clinical Excellence Queensland has taken out four awards at this year’s Awards for Excellence and played a leading role in a fifth!
The virtual Department of Health and Queensland Health Awards for Excellence were held on Friday 26 August, with several CEQ projects receiving a gong.
Deputy Director-General, Clinical Excellence Queensland, Dr Helen Brown said she was delighted but not surprised to see CEQ take home so many wins.
“As a clinician who has been on the other side of partnering with Clinical Excellence Queensland, I know how supportive the team is and the difference they can make not only to the lives of our patients but to our staff as well.”
“I’m incredibly proud of all the teams here in CEQ and offer my congratulations to all the teams who were a finalist in this year’s awards, and to those who won.”
Here’s a summary of our award winners:
- Winning not one but TWO Department of Health Awards was the Virtual Outpatient Integration for Care Delivery (VOICeD), which took out the Reforming Health and Consumer Engagement awards. VOICeD was pioneered by Dr Gaurav Puri from Cairns and Hinterland Hospital and Health Service – who presented the model at Clinical Excellence Showcase 2021. It allows people to integrate their care at one appointment with a multidisciplinary team via telehealth. The concept has now expanded to child development and is being trialled for maternity patients with gestational diabetes in Logan. A truly consumer-centric model of care that we were proud to get behind!
- The Pursing Innovation category in the Queensland Health Awards for Excellence went to our Bridge Labs Program. The aim of the program was to enhance the Department of Health's ability to innovate rapidly and take advantage of the depth of system improvement expertise available in the academic sector. By “bridging” the gap between academia and health, three formal bridge labs were established and yielded 30+ high-impact clinician-led improvement projects.
- Taking out the ‘Our people’ category for the Department of Health Awards was the Management Essentials Program developed by our Consultancy Services Team, Centre for Leadership Excellence, in consultation with Hospital and Health Services (HHSs). The team identified financial management and human resource management capability for cost centre managers as a high priority across the health system. In turn, the Management Essentials Programs for Financial Management and Human Resources was developed and rolled out across the state. In 2020-21, 66 programs and more than 1,328 days of training were delivered to 886 participants across 10 HHSs.
The winner of this year’s Minister’s Award for Excellence is the CEQ-funded Comprehensive Aged Residents Emergency and Partners in Assessment Care and Treatment, known as CARE-PACT. CARE-PACT is a unique demand management program that focuses on streamlining and educating the care pathway for the frail elderly residents of aged care facilities across Metro South Health and increasingly in other parts of Queensland. The model prevents undue stress to the patient by coordinating care to prevent unnecessary episodes of care including transfers to emergency departments, duplication of tests, and time spent in ED beds. This model allows the time under Residential Aged Care Facility care to provide the best solutions and avoid deterioration of the patient through shared, criteria-led care or direct admission with planned transfers.
Residential Aged Care Facility care to provide the best solutions and avoid deterioration of the patient through shared, criteria-led care or direct admission with planned transfers.
CEQ was also fortunate to be nominated for several other projects this year, including:
- The Queensland Sepsis Program
- Development of a statewide suite of COVID-19 HealthPathways
- Healthcare Improvement Fellowship
- Smart Referrals
- Getting it Right First Time Queensland (GIRFT).
Congratulations to all this year’s Department of Health and Queensland Health Awards for Excellence finalists and winners. You can read the full list of winners here (internal access only). For more inspiration, check out our Showcase website.