The Queensland Perioperative and Periprocedural Anaesthetic Mortality Review Committee (QPPAMRC):
- Collects and analyses clinical information regarding perioperative and periprocedural anaesthetic mortality in Queensland to identify statewide specific trends.
- Makes recommendations to the Minister for Health on standards and quality indictors of perioperative and periprocedural anaesthetic clinical care to enable health providers in Queensland to improve safety and quality.
- Assists with the adoption of such standards in both public and private sectors.
The committee functions under the authority of the Hospital and Health Boards Act 2011, Part 6, Safety and quality, Division 1, Quality assurance committees, the purpose of which as defined in Section 81, is to improve the safety and quality of health services by providing protections for quality assurance committees established under the division. The committee provides advice to the Minister for Health and the Patient Safety Quality Improvement Service Executive Committee via the annual report and on a needs basis.
The committee functions collaborately with the Statewide Anaesthesia and Perioperative Care Clinical Network (SWAPNET), other related networks and the Private Hospitals Association of Queensland.
The Hospital and Health Boards Act 2011, Part 1, Division 2, Object of Act sets out the principles that are intended to guide achievement of the Act's objectives. These principles, the Private Health Services Act 1999 and any other legislation relevant to anaesthesia, perioperative and periprocedural health care guide all deliberations of the committee.
The committee consists of a maximum of 12 members (nine permanent members and three provisional members relevant to the cases under review). Members are appointed for a period of two years. Permanent membership of the committee comprises:
- A medical practitioner nominated by Queensland Health who will act as the Chairperson of the committee
- A specialist anaesthetist nominated by the State Branch of the Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists
- A specialist anaesthetist nominated by the Australian Society of Anaesthetists
- A specialist anaesthetist nominated by the Australian Medical Association
- An anaesthetist nominated by the Private Hospitals Association
- An anaesthetic assistant (technician or nurse) nominated by the SWAPNET>
- Two specialist surgeons nominated by the State Branch of the Royal Australisian College of Surgeons
- A pathologist nominated by the Royal College of Pathologists of Australasia - Australian College of Pathology
- Terms of reference
- Process Flow Chart
- QA1 - initial death notification (paper version)
- QA2 - information for committee review (paper version)
- Glossary of Terms - Case Classification
Phone: +61 7 3328 9164