The Transforming EDs towards Cultural Safety (TECS) initiative supports the development of local multidisciplinary teams who share a passion for improving the cultural safety of patients and staff in the Emergency Department (ED).
As the first point of contact for many patients, EDs have an opportunity and a responsibility to ‘set the scene’ by providing a welcoming environment and culturally appropriate care.
TECS is derived from the Cairns Hospital Cultural Safety Working Group, formed with the primary objectives of:
- Developing and driving an inclusive ED focused program in cultural competency for all staff.
- Developing and maintaining locally relevant resources for staff.
- Developing relevant policies, procedures and protocols that relate to the National Safety and Quality Health Service (NSQHS) Standards for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander patients.
- Driving and documenting projects to improve the experience for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander patients and their families.
- Ensuring the cultural safety of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander staff in the ED.