The Pull from emergency department (ED) model refers to the concept of patient flow based on the 'downstream' units (i.e. wards) asking for patients rather than the 'upstream' unit (i.e. ED), pushing patients to the units or wards.
This model prescribes a pull not push process for internal hospital transfers.
- actively pursue the transfer of an incoming patient
- build strong communication links between inpatient and ED staff
- complete a comprehensive handover that enables smooth admissions and discharges
- have key person responsible for ensuring a coordinated patient transfer
- adopt this model as standard hospital practice.