Establishment of specific strategies for neurology specialist outpatient referrals by using specialist nursing and allied health models of care to manage the neurology SOPD waiting list.
Several areas of neurology care are particularly amenable to such a model:
- Movement Disorders (including Parkinson’s disease and essential tremor)
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Neuromuscular Disorders
This is achieved by developing a:
- Multiple Sclerosis Nurse Practitioner (MSNP) Clinic
- Epilepsy Nurse Practitioner Clinic
- Specialty Nurse Led Movement Disorders and DBS Review Clinic
- Neurology Multidisciplinary Outpatient Service for patients with complex care requirements (incorporating a Clinical Nurse Consultant to co-ordinate patient centred care, Physiotherapist, Occupational Therapist, Speech Pathologist, Dietician, Neuropsychologist and Social Worker)
- Neuroimmunology specialist nurse
- General Practitioners with Special Interest (GPwSI) in Neurology position
This project has been the catalyst for the department to continue to adapt and change the model of care to provide the best service possible for our patients. As a result, the Neurology and Stroe Department at the Princess Alexandra (PA) Hospital now tends to be the “go to Dept” within PA when projects want a department to trial a new process of care.