Hospital In The Home provides care in a patient’s permanent or temporary residence for conditions requiring clinical governance, monitoring and/or input that would otherwise require treatment in the traditional inpatient hospital bed. The admission criterion is governed by the authorising officer and as such the HITH program is focused on acute and subacute admitted care substitution.
Hospital in the Home (HITH)
To provide patients with greater choice in their care, improve access to health services, equal or better patient care outcomes, and improve efficiencies in service delivery.
- Provides patients with a safe and high quality alternative to hospital treatment in the comfort of their own home.
- Increased patient satisfaction and reduced patient risk
- Increased hospital bed capacity with limited capital expenditure required
- Cost effective, flexible and sustainable solution to manage the increase demand on the acute services
The Australian Council on Health Care Standards 2011 identified that within Australia and internationally, HITH is a proven viable alternative to an acute hospital admission. Growing evidence supports that this model of care has both patient and system benefits.
- Re-established HITH Working Group (convened monthly to inform the general HITH Program of work).
- HITH Service State Profile.
- HITH Barrier and Enabler Diagnostic Report.
- Updated HITH Guideline (including updated KPIs/Minimum Data Set).
- HITH PPP end of contract report (potential continuation of current outsourced HITH Services).
Data and KPIs are monitored, analysed and reported via local HHS processes. Service evaluation is important for the ongoing monitoring and evaluation of service level data to ensure key performance indicators are met.
- Minimum data set for reporting is outlined as published on the HITH website http://qheps.health.qld.gov.au/caru/hith/
- To ensure transparency of HITH service delivery practice, all data (including clinical incident data) is to be made available to key stakeholders.
HITH has the potential to provide patients with greater choice in their care, improve access to health services, equal or better patient care outcomes, and improve efficiencies in service delivery. HITH provides a mechanism to treat patients in their permanent or temporary residence for conditions requiring clinical governance, monitoring and/or input that would otherwise be managed in a traditional inpatient hospital bed. The level of care and treatment from a HITH multidisciplinary team is comparable to the services offered in an inpatient hospital setting.
Recommendations regarding how to set up a HITH service are available upon request. For assistance with setting up a HITH service, please contact the Healthcare Improvement Unit.