GEDI is provided by a nurse-led, physician championed team who provide frontload assessment, communication, care coordination and appropriate discharge planning. A GEDI team focus on all presentations from aged care facilities as well as older people from the community who are identified as frail via screening on presentation to the ED.
Geriatric Emergency Department Intervention (GEDI)
Model of Care
08 September 2017
22 November 2022
Sunshine Coast Hospital and Health Service
GEDI is aimed at cost effectively maximising the quality of care for older people who present to the Emergency Department (ED).
- Specialist assessment by geriatric ED nurse
- Reduced length of stay in ED for patients
- Fast tracking of patients through ED
- Improved ED discharge planning
- Updates on the patient’s condition and progress can be provided to you on request
- Improved communication between ED and the GP
The project aims to strengthen the capacity of the aged care sector to deliver high quality aged care, to improve care for older adults in the Emergency Department (ED) and improve interaction between the Residential Aged Care Facility (RACF) and both primary and secondary healthcare sectors.
Health professional brochure